Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lectures, Laughter And A Love Of Writing




Hey everyone! 

My name is Lexi, and this is my first blog post on ADR3NALIN3! To help introduce who I am, I’m going to tell you all the story of when I realized I wanted to write. When I first wanted to write and never stop. 

I was six years old sitting on my couch as my mother was giving me a lecture. I don’t remember much of what she said, it was kind of like in the movies where the rest of the sound drowns out and the only thing I was aware of was my own internal dialogue. 

Earlier that day I had gone to a birthday party, and as the end of the party drew nearer I began to spin an elaborate tale to the father of the child’s birthday I was attending. I told him that my mother has a twin sister (which she doesn’t) and that they were so identical the only way you could tell them apart was by their hair. I told him that my aunt would wake up before even the sun would rise so that she could blow dry her hair straight, (this was before straighteners) and that my mommy wore hers naturally curly. 

Little did I now that while I was at the party, my mother had gone to a hairdresser WHERESHE GOT HER HAIR STAIGHTENED. So whenever she comes to pick me up from the party, Jack (the father) goes to shake her hand as if he had never met her before. My mother’s face held a fantastic cocktail of emotions, befuddlement to why he was introducing himself when she had dropped me off only two hours prior, curiosity as to why I refused to meet her eye. And finally embarrassment as she realized what I had done. 

After explaining that I had an over active imagination and some awkward apologies my mom ushered me home, which brings us to the couch. 

I only had the ability to listen to the first few things my mother said because I picked up on just a few key words. ‘If you wanna lie Lexi, just become an actress, a politician or a writer.’ 

People got to tell stories for a living! It was the most incredible thing I had ever heard of. I knew instantly that one of these things was going to be my calling. 

I participated in theater for the next few years, under the tutelage of an incredible woman that continues to inspire me to this day. And one day after I asked her for the twenty-somethienth (yes I know that isn’t a word) time ‘Toby, wouldn’t the script sound better if…?’ Toby looked at me with a big knowing smile on her face, a smile that I didn’t realize at the time but now I recognize it to be the smile of possibilities. Toby told me, ‘Why don’t you write a script? Let’s perform YOUR story.’

Now don’t get me wrong, I had written short stories before. Little rhymes that didn’t make sense and storylines involving a princess named Lexi who has a pet lion. Because really, how awesome would that be?? But until then it had never really occurred to me that I could write something important. And yet here was this wonderful woman that I looked up too, telling me she not only wanted me to write a play, she wanted to read it and then eventually perform it!

And it seems that is all it took, someone believing that the tales I spun from inside of my head were important to make me feel like they did, in a way it even made me feel important. (Still does to be honest.)

Writing is such a huge part of who I am, and that is why I am honored to be writing for this blog!
I hope everyone has a good Saturday! See you in two weeks!

Write On, ;) (Did you see what I did there?)


Lexi

10 comments:

Jordan Dane said...

You crack me up, Lex. Welcome to ADR3! You belong.

Unknown said...

"L'illusion est le premier plaisir"

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Darling! (:

Jordan Dane said...

Isn' she? and you're related. hmmmm

Anita Grace Howard said...

Lex, you are the perfect fit for this blog. And I loved the twin story! *snort* I bet your mom is proud of you now. :)

Welcome to our little cyber cubbyhole. And I look forward to more of your stories!

Unknown said...

Thank you guys! :)

Sechin Tower said...

what a great story! You can't make that stuff up. It needs to be written down. Thank you for sharing! And welcome to ADR3!

Sechin Tower said...

and your mom said that if you want to lie you should become a writer a politician or an actress. I noticed you''ve done writing and acting, so when are you going to run for office? :-)
You''ve got my vote

Unknown said...

:) Thanks for the vote, but I would make an awful politician!

Sechin Tower said...

Is "awful politician" redundant?

I kid! I kid!